Hoover Dam bridge
What Does It Cost?
So... what’s all of this spectacularness going to cost?
Why, I’m so glad you asked!
Please keep in mind:
• Transport for your bike and luggage to Pedal the West and back. No bicyle disassembly or packing required. We will pick up bikes in New York City, Cleveland, Chicago, Omaha, or Denver. There will be one pick-up location in each city for bike drop-off.
If you can take advantage of this service it’s huge -- you do NOT pay for bike packing, shipping, or re-assembly, and you don't pay airline fees for your bike or luggage. (By comparison, taking your bike on the plane along with a checked piece of luggage would cost an extra $350 r/t or so).
If you DO need to ship your bike, not to worry -- we’ll help you with the safest, least-expensive options.
• Five nights of lodging in top hotels. Price is based on two people per room. Single rooms available for an additional $625. (We don't earn anything from lodging -- that just covers our cost of having a room to yourself).
• Tickets to Cirque du Soleil in Las Vegas.
• Shuttle to move your bike and you ahead if you don't want to pedal the entire distance each day in Las Vegas. (El Tour de Tucson provides shorter distances too, starting at 1 mile!).
• Transportation to dinner each night if you'd rather not pedal.
• Four great full dinners. We have one night at leisure in Las Vegas so you can explore.
• We'll always buy the first drink at dinner -- if you want that 50-year-old Scotch, you're on your own!
• Full breakfast every morning.
• Well marked routes, route sheets, and digital files in Las Vegas. El Tour de Tucson provides their own route sheets and digital files.
• All gratuities.
• Luggage delivered to your room.
• Airfare. Prices vary (and some of you may be using frequent flyer miles). Don’t forget that you will be taking three one-way flights:
From your home to Las Vegas to arrive no later than 4 p.m. on Tuesday November 19th.
Las Vegas to Tucson the morning of Friday November 22nd. (We transport your bike and luggage for you --
no airline surcharge).
From Tucson back home on Sunday November 24th.
Don't freak out about one-way flights! When I checked today this was slightly cheaper than a standard round-trip fare.
Why don’t we arrange airfare? Because in the internet age you can get a much better deal on airfare online than we can ever get by calling up one airline directly and offering to buy a big block of tickets all at once. When you book your own flight you get to pick the flights and airports that work best for you. (Can you imagine trying to get everyone to agree on one airport and one flight time? Yikes!)
• Taxis or Uber to and from the airports.
• Bike rental. We assume that you are bringing your own bike. We can help you arrange bike rental if you wish, which costs extra.
• Hoover Dam tours. We are pedaling to amazing Hoover Dam and there's lots to see right from your bike. Some people LOVE an indoor guided tour and some people HATE a guided tour. Who are we to judge? If you want the tour they offer several flavors from $10 - $30 and they do NOT take reservations. Go figure. So rather than just charge everyone an extra $30 (unfair!) we'll leave this up to you.
• Your El Tour de Tucson entry fee. The earlier you register, the lower the price -- about $150 - $200 per person. They also have an option to raise money for charity and pedal for free. You can see all the details, and register online for El Tour de Tucson here. (Need help registering? Just ask us!)
We often get non-pedaling friends or spouses who join us on trips and that's great. If you are not pedalng El Tour de Tucson of course there's no need for you to pay for that ride.
• Dinners include wine or beer in moderate proportions for those who wish to imbibe. If you want to drink beyond that (or want that $100 bottle of wine or $50 glass of port) you have to pay for it yourself.
• Spa services such as massage or beauty treatments. Available at some of our overnight stops.
• As mentioned, we are transporting the bikes for free from five different cities to Las Vegas, then from Vegas to Tucson, and finally back to those five cities from Tucson. If you want bike shipping and transport using a different method we are happy to help, but it will cost extra.
If you are bringing your own bike case or box we are happy to transport it during the ride for free.
• Each day in Las Vegas a pro bike mechanic will be available to tweak anything that needs tweaking. This is free. If your bike needs parts or major surgery it will cost extra. El Tour de Tucson provides its own mechanical support.
• Spare inner tubes. Bring them. We will not provide them for free, and EVERY bike gets a flat sometime. I have a really whiny philosophy about WHY we don’t provide tubes, and if you’re extra good I promise to never bore you with it.
TOTAL PRICE: $3,295 per person
Prices are based on two people per room.
If you want a room of your own please add $625 (our cost).
You don’t have to pay for the entire trip all at once if you don’t want to.
When you register for the ride we will ask for a $250 deposit by credit card to save your space in the ride. The online registration folks will hit you for about $15 in service fees.
The balance of the payment for your trip is due by check as follows:
An additional $1,000 per person is due within 60 days.
The final balance is due no later than October 1, 2019.
We'll send you an invoice as a friendly reminder when checks are due.
Need to Cancel Right Away?
Not to worry -- you have 14 days from the time you register to cancel without penalty. You get back your entire $250 deposit AND the online service fees.
If You Cancel Between 15-30 Days
You will have a $250 credit with us, which you can use for any of our events until the end of the 2020 ride season.
If You Cancel After 30 Days
After 30 days we are unable to offer credits or refunds of any kind for any reason. You can sell your spot on your own if you wish, or we will try to sell it for you after the trip is full.
SO... we strongly recommend that you consider buying trip insurance here. That way if something happens where you can’t attend the trip you’re covered. This insurance is offered by an excellent insurance company that has paid out many times to our cycling friends over the years. Every trip we do we get a last-minute plea from a cyclist with an emergency -- trip insurance covers you and gets you a refund. No matter how ill your mother/cat/ficus tree is, we can not issue ANY last-minute refunds.
Prices for the insurance? Depend on the options you pick. Feel free to go to the insurance site here and play around -- no commitment or credit card required. No sales pitches or phone calls.